SHA Recommended Reading
These resources have been chosen by the staff and board members of SHA to help people concerned about housing equity and homelessness. They include research conducted and reports written by SHA, research and reports from other agencies, and resources guides. Whether you are working with people dealing with housing issues, an advocate for equitable housing or facing your own housing struggle, we hope these resources will inform and inspire you.
- CHPC & SHA Report: Confronting Sacramento County’s Rent and Poverty Crisis: A Call for Reinvestment in Affordable Homes (May 2016)
- Sacramento Housing Alliance Working Paper on Ending Homelessness (rev. April 2016)
- The State of Affordable Homes – City of Sacramento (infographic) – Perfect for sharing at meetings or presentations
- The People’s Guide to Health Welfare and other Services in Sacramento County (2014-2015)
- Priced Out from Housing California – Find out who is priced out of housing in your community
- National Low Income Housing Coalition: Out of Reach 2015 This is the most recent Out of Reach. Previous year’s reports are also very informative. You can find them on the National Low Income Housing Coalition website.
Messaging and Framing for Affordable Homes
- UC Davis Center for Regional Change: Changing the Narrative of Affordable Housing (June 2016)
- Homes, not housing: Framing, messaging, and communications to achieve your goals – Karen Naungayan, Housing California
- Messaging for economic justice Research brief from The Center for Community Change
Housing is a basic human need. When people do not have access to adequate, affordable housing every aspect of their lives is affected. The resources below some of the ways housing intersects with quality of life.
Housing and Health and Healthy Communities
- Data measures around housing and health: Regional Opportunity Index – Sergio Cuellar, Center for Regional Change, UC Davis
- Affordable housing: The prescription for healthy communities – Cathy Creswell, Creswell Consulting
- Housing and health: Healthy community principles in the update of the state General Plan guidelines – Elizabeth Baca, Governor’s Office of Planning and Research
- Will Barrett, American Lung Association
Homelessness and Hunger
- Hunger and Homelessness in Sacramento Report
- Homeless Employment Report
- Restaurant Food and Meals Program
- Homeless Nutrition Educational Tool Kit